Designers: Costas Panayi, Marianna Iacovou, Sofia Malecou, Xenia Christodoulou
He was born in Omodos in 1850 and died in 1937. Between 1874-1880 he was a leading cantor at Agios Antonios Church in Nicosia and from the beginning of the 19th century up until 1916 he was a cantor in Agia Napa Church in Limassol. Between 1917-1931 he taught Byzantine music at the Pancyprian Gymnasium and at the Pancyprian College of Education. In 1936 the Church of Cyprus awarded him the title of “Lord Cantor”. He was a pioneer in creating the movement for studying and spreading Byzantine music. He wrote a number of studies and articles on Church music and published books on teaching Byzantine music.
He was also involved in journalism. In 1884 he published the “Trumpet”, a weekly newspaper in Limassol. In 1901 he was elected a corresponding member of the Ecclesiastical Musical Society in Constantinople.
He was born in Lefkoniko in 1904 and died in 2004. He came to Nicosia at a very early age and attended lessons in Byzantine music under Stylianos Hourmouzios, the renowned music teacher. He studied Byzantine music in Athens and at the National Conservatory, graduating with excellence. Upon his return to Cyprus, he was the leading cantor at Agios Ioannis Church in Nicosia. In 1937 he established the School of Byzantine Church Music, from which hundreds of students graduated, serving as cantors in many parts of Cyprus. He founded the Church Choir. He published many ecclesiastical books and a volume on folk songs of Cyprus, entitled “Cypriot Folk Muse”. He collected these songs by travelling around all the villages in Cyprus from 1924 and writing them down as he heard them from the village elders, thus contributing to maintaining our musical tradition and rescuing a truly priceless cultural treasure. The Holy Synod of the Church of Cyprus awarded him the honorary title of “Lord Cantor” of the Autocephalous Church of Cyprus and the Academy of Athens awarded him for his work and contribution to Byzantine and Cypriot folk music.
He was born in Nicosia in 1917 and died in 2008. He was a composer, a pioneer composer of Cypriot folk songs and contributor to the theatre. He set music to the lyrics of eminent poets in the Cyprus dialect. With Costas Montis, he established the first professional theatre in Cyprus, known as “To Lyricon” (the Lyric”), which staged his own productions with great success. Lymbourides’s legacy to Cypriot literature is a number of theatrical plays, in particular genre comedy, which were transferred to television. The melodies set to the lyrics of folk and other Cypriot poets, including his own, represent the folk music of Cyprus in the best possible way. In addition to being a composer, he was also a remarkable writer. In the 70s and 80s he produced Cypriot studies and edited books on the history of Cypriot journalism,the British rule in Cyprus and others.
He received awards from the Municipality of Nicosia, the University of Cyprus and “Adouloti Kyrenia” for his valuable contributions and in 1998 the Cyprus State bestowed on him the “Award for Excellence in Letters and the Arts”.
He was born in Assia, in the Mesaoria, in 1885 and died a refugee in 1974, having been badly wounded by the Turkish army as it invaded his village. Self-taught, he started painting in 1957 and became a great and renowned self-taught artist in his old age. A naïve artist, who expresses the beautiful, simple, authentic life and customs of the Cypriot countryside.
Kashalos was a painter of the peasantry and is considered the father of contemporary Cypriot naïve art and his fame surpassed the boundaries of the small island of Cyprus. His works adorn several private, state and other collections.
GEORGE POL. GEORGIOU
He was born in Famagusta in 1901 and died in 1972. He studied law in London but did not practice the profession and devoted himself exclusively to his great love: painting. Despite the fact that he was self-taught, his innate talent and artistic genius made him a pioneer and a very remarkable, acclaimed artist. Most of his works of art, characterised by the sense of composition, feature the people of Cyprus and images from Cyprus. He developed one of the most unique and characteristic visual styles in modern Cypriot art. He has exhibited his works of art in many solo and group exhibitions both in Cyprus and abroad. His works adorn a number of collections such as that of the Archbishop Makarios III Foundation, the Gallery of Contemporary Cypriot Art, and collections abroad. Many of his paintings have been enclaved in Famagusta since 1974 and have not been seen since.
He was born in Nicosia in 1903 and died in 1980. He was a poet, novelist, journalist, educationalist and a theatre critic, one of the pioneers of the Cypriot literary generation of the 30’s. His literary work is distinguished by its clarity of expression, its lyricism and dedication to the national folk tradition and its national character. Apart from poetry he also wrote stories, plays and studies. His journalistic activity was varied and remarkable, especially in his contribution to Cyprus education. Ηis efforts to establish the demotic language in elementary education and the application of modern educational precepts in the education of his birthplace, was quite significant and multifaceted. In 1970 the Ministry of Education and Culture presented him with the award for Overall Contribution to Greek literature in Cyprus.
He was born in Nicosia in 1915 and died in 1998. He was a remarkable novelist making a diverse and extensive contribution to Cypriot literature. He was a doctor by profession and for many years was a school physician and a professor of hygiene at the Pancyprian Gymnasium and at the Pedagogical Academy of Cyprus. He was a prolific writer and, in addition to poetry, was interested in prose writing, essays and even children’s literature. For more than 30 years he was the editor in chief of “Pnevmatiki Kypros”, a literary magazine. Over the span of 50 years of literary activity he contributed various articles to the daily press and magazines and was also the informative link on issues regarding intellectual creativity between the Greek centre and Cyprus not only during the period of British rule, but also following the establishment of the Republic of Cyprus.
He was born in Lysi in 1914 and died in 2002. He attended the Pancyprian Seminary in Larnaca and then the Athens National Conservatory. He was subsequently appointed a professor of music (1938-1974) at Secondary schools of Education. At the same time he was a leading cantor at Faneromeni Church in Nicosia. He established and managed the Faneromeni quartet, a mixed ecclesiastical choir in the 1980s.
He also established an orchestra for string and wind instruments at the Pancyprian Gymnasium and many other choirs for associations and foundations in Nicosia. At the same time he also started researching and studying Cypriot folk music, recording musical rhythms and the melody of our folk songs. He was also interested in the palaeography of Byzantine music. He received an award in 1967 for his book on Cypriot Rhythms and Melodies by the Academy of Athens and in 1995 the Cyprus State bestowed on him the “Award for Excellence in Letters and the Arts”.
She was born in Limassol in 1909 and died in England in 1994. She studied painting in Paris (1929) and at the Higher School of Fine Arts (1930–1933) at the Atelier of Lucien Simon. She returned to Cyprus in 1933 and began her artistic creation, opting for European modernism, which had been unknown until then in the downgraded artistic environment of Cyprus, instead of the universally accepted naturalism. In 1937 she emigrated to the United Kingdom where she lived in London and then in Penn until the end of the 1950s. Her works of art may be found in the State Gallery of Contemporary Cypriot Art, the Limassol Municipal Gallery, the Popular Bank Cultural Centre and in the artist’s private collection in Great Britain.
A leading Cypriot writer. He was born in Famagusta in 1914 and died in 2004. His large collection of poems has set him apart as a remarkable poet. Many of his works have been included in anthologies, translated into foreign languages and many have been set to music. He wrote in the Greek demotic language and in the idiomatic Cypriot dialect. He also wrote prose and plays for the theatre. He wrote around 40 works for the stage, radio and television. His various satires and lyrics were very successful. He was also a journalist. His contribution in the field of anthologies is also significant. His literary achievement was honoured with the State Prize for Poetry in 1968 and in 1973 he was honoured with an award for his overall contribution to Cypriot and Greek literacy. In 1994 he was bestowed with the Award for Excellence in Letters and the Arts by the Republic of Cyprus. In 1999 he was nominated for the Nobel Prize by the School of Philosophy of the University of Cyprus and the Ministry of Education and Culture. Ιn 2000 the Academy of Athens declared him a corresponding member. In 2001 he received an honorary doctorate from the University of Athens.
He was born in Alona in 1910 and died in 1993. He is considered one of the most significant artists of modern Cypriot painting. He served as an art teacher at the Famagusta Gymnasium (1942-1944) and at the Pancyprian Gymnasium (1950-1969). In addition to being a painter, he was a distinguished etcher and stage designer.
In his works he depicts life, but also the tragedy of the Cypriot people after the Turkish invasion in 1974. He created from life experience, whatever he was feeling, capturing the eyes of the soul and the heart.
He was a pioneer in establishing the Cyprus Chamber of Fine Arts. He expounded rich cultural activity and was one of the first Cypriot painters to have solo exhibitions on our island. His works of art are found in several galleries in Cyprus, Greece and his daughters’ private collection in Vienna. He was honoured for his contribution to art by the Academy and the University of Athens.
He was born in Limassol in 1897 and died in his birthplace in 1965. At the age of 16 he volunteered for the Greek army and fought in the Balkan War of 1913. After the war ended he returned to Cyprus and continued his studies at the Pancyprian Gymnasium. He excelled as an athlete and was a Cyprus champion. He served as a gymnastics teacher in Alexandria where he had emigrated and where he spent his most creative years, always closely associated with Cypriot writers and regularly publishing in Cypriot magazines of the time. He particularly stood out for his poetic work, which was multi-faceted and multi-dimensional and revealed in-depth research and reflection. In addition to poetry, he wrote prose, theatrical works, essays and studies. His contribution to Cypriot prose is impressive, as was his contribution to modern Greek Letters.