New stamp issues
Cyprus Post will circulate on 9th July 2019 the new stamp series "Euromed 2019 - Costumes in the Mediterranean" and "Cyprus Gymnastic Associations"
"Euromed 2019 - Costumes in the Mediterranean"
For a sixth consecutive year, member states of the Postal Union for the Mediterranean “Euromed Postal”, issue a stamp with a common theme. The theme for this year is “Traditional Costumes”.
The Cyprus stamp depicts two traditional costumes, one for women and one for men.
Cypriot costumes are of a conservative nature, but various and graceful. Each region in Cyprus had its own distinct every-day costume, with its unique characteristics in colour, fabric and decoration.
The main variations of the woman’s costume is the urban, the “Karpasiitiki” (named after the region of Karpasia, in the northeast of the island), the “Pafitiki” (named after the city of Pafos, in the west of the island) and the “orini” which was worn on the mountainous areas of Cyprus.
The basic part of the man’s costume is the multi-pleated “vraka”. Along with “vraka”, a dark, cotton, striped shirt was worn for everyday use and a silk one was worn to Sunday church service.
"Cyprus Gymnastic Associations"
By the end of the 19th century the first athletic associations were established in Cyprus for the promotion of classical sports and gymnastics.
The active athletic associations in Cyprus are six.
“OLYMPIA” ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION (GSO)
“Olympia” Athletic Association (GSO) was established in 1892. It is the oldest association in Cyprus, the second oldest athletic association in Greece and a founding member of “SEGAS”.
It is the first association that introduced female sports in Cyprus. GSO organized the First Pancyprian Games in 1896 and the First Panhellenic Games in Cyprus in 1925. GSO athletes represented Cyprus in the 1896 Olympic Games.
“PANCYPRIA” ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION (GSP)
“Pancypria” Athletic Association (GSP) was established in 1894 in Lefkosia upon the initiative of advocate Theofanis Theodotou and doctors Antonios Theodotou and Aristodemos Finiefs.
In 1902, GSP had its own stadium, which was renamed in 1934 to “GSP Stadium of Evgenia and Antonios Theodotou” after its great benefactors.
Following an agreement with the Cyprus government, the old GSP stadium was traded for a new, modern stadium which opened its doors in 1999.
GSP athletes honour Cyprus in international sports games.
“ZENON” ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION (GSZ)
“Zenon” Athletic Association (GSZ) was established in 1896 under the name “The Stadium”. It was later renamed to “Zenon” Athletic Association.
In 1929, the association had its own stadium “GSZ” with significant contributions from the Holy Monastery of Kykkos and the late D. N. Demetriou.
In 1989, the Association was transferred to the new sports facilities of the “New GSZ Stadium”.
“KORIVOS” ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
“Korivos” Athletic Association was established on 28th November 1898 following the initiative of Tilemachos Kallonas.
Mr Kallonas, who was a scholar, named the association after Coroebus of Elis, the first winner in the running event in the Ancient Olympic Games. “Korivos” Athletic Association is established in Pafos, at the “Pafiako” stadium, which has now been renamed to “Stelios Kyriakides” Stadium.
“EVAGORAS” ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION (GSE) OF AMMOCHOSTOS
The first Athletic Association in Ammohostos was established on 23rd February 1903, at a gathering of sports fans in the city, which was named “EVAGORAS Sports Club” after the first king of Salamis, Evagoras I. In 1919 it was renamed to “EVAGORAS – GSE Famagusta” and in 1923 it had its own stadium called “GSE”.
From the day it was founded to this day, GSE has birthed great athletes with international success, who have honoured their association and our country.
Even though Ammochostos is now occupied by the Turkish troops, GSE carries out its activities in the free areas with great success, awaiting to return to its original and natural home.
“PRAXANDROS” ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION
“Praxandros” Athletic Association was established in 1919 in Kyrenia with the initiative of Archbishop Makarios III, then Bishop. It is the sixth athletic association of Cyprus, with a strong presence in the sports arenas of the island.
Its home was the “Demetriadion Stadium” which was occupied by the Turkish troops during the 1st phase of the Turkish invasion in 1974. Since then, the association has been carrying out its activities in the free areas trying to remain in existence until it can return home.
You can purchase the series as well as other philatelic products from our e-shop by pressing here.